Congratulations to Francis I – our new pope and head of 1.2 billion Catholics. I am amazed to see how much is already discussed about him being conservative or progressive.
For me I believe:
He is a South American, clearly a man with compassion for the sick, the poor, those disadvantaged in life and born into poverty.
He is a Jesuit which means that science should not be a strange factor for him.
He clearly is known to have a decent life style and no thinking in terms of a church career – what a pleasure to know that.
And yes, he is known to be very conservative in question of moral theology – here the Holy Spirit might still have to work a bit… 🙂
And yes, there is discussion about his role during the dictatorship of the military in Argentina – most of us are simply not able to judge this claims at all
His name Francis – honoring Francis of Assisi as the Vatican pointed out (and not Francis Xavier) stands for a spring in the church when and if it is true that history repeats itself.
Let’s simply give him the chance to tackle all challenges and support him in deed and prayer.
- Pope Francis is known for simplicity and humility (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Argentine Jorge Bergoglio elected Pope Francis (cnsnews.com)
- Pope Francis: Simple Image, Complex Past – NPR (npr.org)
- Argentina’s Bergoglio becomes Pope Francis (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected new pope: live (telegraph.co.uk)
- Habemus Papum: Pope Francis I (talkleft.com)
- First Argentine Pope Breaks Barriers (foxnews.com)